As I predicted here last week, HALFM has gone away. It is now 899 The Wave, and it plays classic hits of the '70's, '80's, and '90's. You know. This format will be virtually identical to KOOL FM's, so I would expect that the people disappointed to lose KOOL will flock to The Wave.
Much to my surprise, JC Douglas, who for most of his adult life worked for Q104, is now the Afternoon Drive guy at The Wave. He had been looking to get out of management for some time, and be "just" an on air jock. JC is one of the really good ones. He has always been kind and patient with me when he had no reason to be. Of course, I wish him all the best in his new role, and I hope he is happy in it.
So, let's review what has happened in Halifax radio the week of August 26th.
1. KOOL FM went to that great Classic Hits station in the sky. From its ashes rose "Radio965", which ostensibly plays new music of a mellower nature than what you will hear on Live 105, but mostly has been newer music played on several other stations. If you're a David Myles fan, or you are David Myles, then you will love Radio965. (I am not slamming Mr. Myles, by the way).
2. JC Douglas left Q104.
3. Q104 mellows its spoken word content. Words like "chickenshit", which used to be broadcast, are now bleeped. And it now plays some of KOOL FM's playlist. Also, upcoming contests are advertised by saying that they will not be as edgey as previous ones where participants had to wade through shit (excuse me, poop) to locate money, or a son will have to stick a finger in his father's ass (sorry, rectum).
4. The Bounce and Q104 switch Afternoon Drive hosts. Jax is now Afternoon Drive at C100; K8, at The Bounce. BTW, that change mystifies me the most.
5. HAL FM finally, at long last, gives up the ghost, sheds its worn out skin, and takes on a format that should be very pleasing to the folks who missed KOOL FM. It is called The Wave. I am noticing different songs that what KOOL played. They are currently playing "Hungry Like The Wolf" by Duran Duran. I just hope they don't play "The Edge of Seventeen". Have I mentioned that when that song was a hit, I was seventeen? Today, I mean. Have I mentioned it today? Other than in this paragraph, that is?
6. The Wave's Afternoon Drive guy is none other than... JC Douglas! I didn't see that coming at all. Bill Hart was teasing me with a hint or two yesterday, but I was too stunned to get them. Meanwhile, Wayne Harrett alluded to this hiring as well. Silly Bevboy didn't put two and two together.
Ah, Bonnie Raitt's "Let's Give Them Something To Talk About". Keep it up, Wave.
7. Lastly, Christina Fitzgerald leaves Live 105 to accept a midday/music director position at Radio965. She was at Live yesterday. She is probably at Radio965 today.
Anyway, those are all the changes I have seen this week, just in Halifax. A tumultuous week, eh wot? I'm exhausted. Glad it's a long weekend.
See you tomorrow from.. The Valley!