Friday, April 8, 2016

Post 3232 - Friday

Past 10pm.

We went over to Dartmouth this morning. After we took care of the errand we had to, we decided to check out Chops Meat Market in Burnside. We walked in, walked around, walked out without buying anything. The place is a dive. It is dirty and dark in there; the prices are not very competitive, and the quality isn't there. We decided to go down the road to the Gateway Meat Market.

Now, there is a nice place to shop. Somehow they have crammed a relatively small space with meat and produce, all of the highest quality and the lowest prices. In a short 8 years, they have gone from an even smaller space with 3 employees to this space, and 40 employees. I just wish they would expand their business to this side of the harbour. Wouldn't it be nice if they moved over to, gee, I don't know, Timberlea? I could get behind that very easily indeed.

When we were lining up to purchase our stuff at Gateway, we told the clerk how disappointed we had been by our visit to Chops. She reported that her boyfriend's company provides product to Chops, and had some stories to tell. She said something that resonated with us, which is that the place is like a haunted house. You go in a certain way and are led from one anteroom to another. All it was lacking was someone dressed up in a sheet and pouncing on you and saying "Boo!". The company behind Chops has instead sunk a ton of money into the Wolfville franchise, called Cuts. But even then, this week's Frank Magazine reports some health code deficiencies. I keep meaning to go in. Now, I am not quite so enthusiastic.

We returned to Halifax, ending up in Bayer's Lake. We visited the guy who sells fish in the back of his truck. He had a special: 10 pounds of haddock for 50 dollars, a very good price. We decided to chill out across the street at Chapters before deciding to get that fish. Patricia got some cash at the Irving in Beechville, we doubled back to the fish monger, and relieved him of 10 pounds of haddock.

I cooked some of it for lunch today. We are cooking a lot of fish lately. Maybe too much. I don't know. But this stuff today was transcendent. Ambrosia. Mother's milk. The flour-and-egg-mixture was not necessary, but I used it anyway. I cooked it for an even shorter period of time. Didn't matter. The fish turned out to be so good. Between mouthfuls, Patricia said she might want to go back to get another 10 pounds of the stuff, on Saturday. We will put most of it in the food saver, and then freeze it, hauling some out when we want a quick dinner.

We have had a long day, with some good food. I think we have earned some rest.

You guys have a good evening. See you tomorrow.


No comments: